This sounds like the advice of someone working out. This is the advice I'd give to someone who is heading to the Las Vegas DMV.
Oh. MY. Word.
We pulled up and the line was heading out the doorway. We were contemplating leaving but Lance didn't want to have to take time off of work to come and take care of the registrations and his license.
Pulled up into the VIN verification center. A guy checks to see if your vehicle matches with your VIN in the computer. Then he gives you your VIN approved slip and then you are off to park.
So we parked, removed our beautiful OREGON plates and headed into the unknown.
Through the doors was a line that was set up in those cattle herding type ropes. Makes you weave back and forth... that line was SO long. This was the line for the "information desk".
You must go to the information desk where they make sure you have all the documentation required to achieve whatever it is that you are there to do. This line took one hour and 20 minutes to get through. The man in front of us was on his phone the whole time while his three year old ran around everywhere. Literally... he didn't even try to find him until he was almost at the window. This kid was trying to take away the Tank's books and doodle pad... (I brought activities to keep the Zoo Crew semi sane during our DMV adventure) and he even ran out of the building and fell in the landscaping (ROCKS) and all the while his attentive (NOT) father was talking on his phone. I kept feeling like I had to keep track of him along with my own crew... poor little man. Besides the 'father' there was a woman on her phone who was talking so loud that the entire place knew about her friend's baby that is in the NICU and what is medically wrong with him. She also shared with everyone how her BFF had to have had an affair with her husband cuz this new baby is so black and her BFF and husband are white. *sigh* She was torkin' off some of the ladies waiting in line. They were making sure that she knew they didn't appreciate her conversation. Then there was the 'general contractor' who was DRUNK off his butt. His wife kept telling him to stop yelling and asked how many he had had... he held up the HUGE can of beer he had open and was drinking at the DMV and said it was his third this morning. (930am). OH yeah good times.
Then we finally made it to the information window. The woman looked at all our documents and handed us our number. 

"G780"
Then told us to go in the next room and find a place to sit cuz it would be a while.
Ummmm, okay...
We head to the BIG room and there are seriously five hundred people all sitting in chairs waiting. I find a couple chairs and pull out activity books and look up at the numbers... a chime sounds and a woman says, "Now serving G 650". WHAT?!? That's right folks...
That is only one of the series of numbers running.... they have "I", "H", and "E" numbers in between as well.
Lance gets in another line to go take his picture and we wait.
People talk like garbage mouth's and they don't care who hears it. They are rude on cell phones. They mock people openly. They don't think that the rules apply to them.
It was so frustrating.
The kids did fabulous until it was about 20 numbers from being our turn... then the activities books were no longer working... they all needed water... they all needed a potty break. I should have known when I walked in and there is a Snack Bar at the DMV that this would take a long time. They finally call us and we then sit at the woman's window for over an hour. She issues the wrong plates and has to find a supervisor to reverse everything. My kids are seriously melting down and the place is getting louder and louder.
We walk out of the DMV over 4 1/2 hours later. New plates in hand.
I get to go back next week (alone) and do it all over again. I'm waiting for my marriage certificate to come so I can get my license.
This time I will wear comfortable shoes and at least bring water...

3 comments:
I should have warned you about the DMV’s out here. Everything you described sounds about right. They are one of the worst places to have to be at. Sounds like your kids did amazingly well though. 4.5 hours at the place is a lot to put on them (that's alot to put on YOU) Way to go!!!!! I am sorry you had to go through all that. Hopefully, if you go again, you can go on a weekday in the morning. That might cut down your wait time. Maybe bring a good book with you if / when you have to go back.
Wow...seriously IN SANE! Good luck next time!
We got our licenses on a Tuesday at 2 pm. It took about an hour and a half. I have heard mid week in the afternoon (around 2) is the best time to go. Hopefully it will help with your license trip!
Post a Comment