Monday, June 7, 2010

Step 80: Hi, I'm Stephanie and I'm an A/Cholic

We had the lovely experience of losing our power in the height of the blazing sun here in the desert wasteland. At first I was calm. Surely thousands have called NV Energy and the power will be back on. Hmmmm, maybe I will call just to be sure.
.
"We show no outages for your area..."
.
W. T. Freak????!!!!????
.
"We will dispatch a unit out to your area ASAP."
.
Cue the PANIC!!!!
Our house was cool... at first.
The kids were still running around and so I asked them to find something to do where they could sit still, thus creating less 'heat'.
House begins to heat up.
Panic level is rising...
I am telling Lance that I will be staying at a hotel for the night.
Fan-C is trying to fill up her water cup from the fridge auto ice/water dispenser. She is in tears cuz she can't get any water. (tap water here is GROSS)
I'm chatting with my mom on the phone trying to keep the panic level at a dull roar...
Telling everyone the basics.
Don't open the fridge/freezer.
Don't open the front door/garage door.
Stop running through the rooms, no you are NOT creating wind by running... just heat.
.
I'm sweating now... 108 degrees and the POWER goes out in the DESERT.
Aren't they equipped to handle power levels being up due to the human race choosing NOT to die from heat stroke?
This is the 'beginning' of the HELL SEASON... how many more power outages am I facing?
This is my nightmare coming true... no A/C...
.
.
Finally, the hummmmmmmmmm... the fridge has kicked back on.
All is well... the A/C is blowing and calm has returned to the desert.

Our power was off for about an hour...I KNOW, I'm a wimp.
.
.

Oregon countdown: 16 super HOT days

1 comment:

Megan and Greg said...

Uh, that would make me panice too. I always freak out when the power goes out, but I'm afraid of freezing to death instead of sweating away. Glad it was only for an hour- that's promising, right?