Thursday, October 14, 2010

Step 89: Do What?

I'm finding that I am acclimating to the lingo here in big ole Texas. Lance is constantly pointing out to me just how Texan I am sounding. I catch myself saying some things with a bit o' twang to it. There are some phrases that are all Texas. One is "Do what?". Only it sounds like "Do wha~?". I hate that phrase, it's lazy talk. That is my name for it ~ "Lazy Talk". But I am standing at the tax assessor's office yesterday to register our trucks (yep, you register your vehicles where you make your property tax payments) and one of the tellers down the way leaned forward and started interjecting into the conversation I was having with the woman helping me and before I knew it... I said, "Do what?" I about punched my OWN face!

I say "y'all" ALL the time. I used y'all when I lived in Oregon it just doesn't sound out of place when I use it now.

I say, "Thank Yoooou". Kinda extend out the "oo" sound on you. Very Texan.

Like I mentioned, we are now sporting Texas license plates. We forked out another $900 and are now registered and licensed in yet another state. Kinda made me ill. We just had the trucks inspected/checked in Nevada and then had to have it done again for Texas. We just got plates/registration in Nevada and while the plates were still good for another 7+ months we had to get it all redone for Texas. GRRRRRR... One thing I will say. In Vegas they supplied chairs for everyone to sit in while you waited for 4 hours for your turn at a window. In Texas... you just stand in a LONG line for two hours, no chairs. My sciatic nerve was shot. I was near tears by the time I made it to the window and then I hurried to their testing center (where you take driving tests) and sat down in one of their chairs. I was waiting on my Lancings... my leg was DONE.

We own a home, registered our trucks, have TX driver's licenses and paid tithing to our new ward. Guess we're home. I will always be an Oregon girl living in Texas...

Now y'all remember you can come on over and stop in all ya like. Our door is always open (cept when I lock it at night). Just no lazy talkin' in my presence... thank yooooooou.

1 comment:

Megan and Greg said...

That was so funny. You're a texan. Ok, $900? Are you serious? Yikes! 80 degree weather still? how are you surviving? i would die if i had to live in the desert. i die in oregon summers. i'm glad you're back. i'm glad you have a home. i bet it's been a crazy couple months.