Friday, May 15, 2009

Step Twelve: I conquered Olive Garden

These are deadly to me.
I could sit down and eat like three BASKETS full of bread sticks without even thinking about it.
I got a gift certificate for the Olive Garden for Mother's Day.
Tonight for date night, Lance and I went to enjoy a meal with no children in tow... ahhhhh, bliss.
I was kinda freakin' out cuz I KNEW that the bread basket would be brought and I would dive in without a second thought. So, I got water vs. raspberry lemonade (I can drink six refills ~ oh man the sugar and calories!!!!) and ordered my meal.
Out comes the salad and the dreaded bread sticks that are always so warm, garlicky and yum yum yummy. I didn't even touch the basket until my meal was in front of me.
Then I ate TWO sticks.
Not two baskets,
TWO individual warm, garlicky,
yum yum yummy bread sticks.
I finished my meal and Lance had not eaten his bread yet and I didn't touch it...
we actually LEFT FOOD UNEATEN at our table!!!!
That goes against everything I USED to hold dear ~~~
"I paid for it, I'm eatin' it!"
Then we went and got ice cream and ...
wait for it....
I threw away over half of the bowl cuz I just didn't want anymore.
This is freakin' working. I can't believe it.
So I've discovered that I am learning to eat for nourishment and not for entertainment...
This could be like step twelve through twenty of my journey... Taken in one HUGE step!

3 comments:

Terase said...

Way to go!!!!!!!!! Realizing YOU are in charge and not the food is a HUGE step!

I feel the same way about those blasted bread sticks. I was SOOOO good last time we went I actually SPLIT one with Jack. It was all I could do to not eat more. But I did it.

It will be so nice when this battle is something that just comes naturally. Some day to not even notice food beyond a need for nourishment.

Hugs!!!!!!

Jessica K. said...

WOW!! You should really be proud of yourself for starting this! A very good friend of mine was sick and tired of her weight and started 2 weeks ago!!!
She has been loosing weight already! She has this plan she goes after and it makes you loose weight while sleeping and you can eat almost everything!!
In the morning she can eat up to 4 slices of bread but only with jam, honey etc. no cheese. Also no milk in the morning, only a cup of juice. Between the 3 meals have to be at least 5 hours. For lunch you eat carbohydrate. A bunch of potatoes, noodles etc. And in the evening you eat protein. Salad with meat or eggs!! And really it works! She did stop snacking in between meals and it makes her feel so good about herself!!

I wish you the very best for your journey!!

Karen K. said...

Breadsticks and raspberry lemonade. That's what Olive Garden is all about for me. And that's why I don't go! Yay for you! (Even though this was a long time ago...)