Sunday, January 10, 2010

Step 49: Be ready for MY wake-up!


Since I experienced immediate 'wake-up' from surgery number one. I warned the doctor to be ready for my wake-up. Last time they called my name and I woke up instantly. I still had the tube down my throat and that made me gag and I breathed in some of that stuff into my lungs, leaving me with an AWFUL cough for over two weeks. They were convinced I was going to get pneumonia. Thankfully they were wrong.
So this time... they took out the tube, transferred me back to my bed from the operating table and wheeled me to recovery BEFORE they called my name. I hear my name and BAM, my eyes are open, I'm talking and responsive. The doctor says it's almost comical how it looks like I am waking up from being under hypnosis instead of anesthesia.
Just like last time... I was only in the recovery room for about 15 minutes. I just don't need it. They wheeled me off to my room on the seventh floor and my Lancing was already in the room waiting for me. I was a wee bit 'groggy'. I couldn't remember words. Lance used the bathroom in my room and washed his hands with the soap and then tried to touch my face and told him, "Don't touch me with your hand... it's hurting my sniffer." It took a few hours before I remembered that my sniffer was my NOSE. I asked about twenty times if they cut my stomach open. The twentieth time it registered that they were able to complete the surgery all vaginally. This is good news and BAD news.
Good, great, fabulous news because my chance for hernias are almost zero. Good, great, fabulous news cuz my recovery will be fast and efficient.
Bad news cuz everyone forgets that I had MAJOR surgery and just assumes that I am fine and should be up and doing everything. I can't. I can't lift, push, pull, bend... I had an organ removed! So I have had to remind myself that just because I can't see the stitches doesn't mean I don't have a ton. They just happen to be inside and I have had to know and set my own limits... cuz others are assuming that I am fine.
Four more weeks and then I can do it all again.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I know what you mean. Being a mom, it’s hard for others and sometimes even yourself to remember to settle down and take things easy. I hope you do get the rest you need and are back to yourself in no time.

The Hojnackes said...

If you need any help just let me know. I am fully recovered from having Andrew, so I can help. My kids would also love to have others to play with if you just need a little rest! :)

Kristin said...

Glad you're recovering well. Your post cracked me up. Let me know if you need anything. I'm always around and am happy to help.

Get well soon!