Since the dawn of time... for me... I have been asked to sing at Christmas. I LOVE IT! It is the best time of year to be asked. My favorite things about this time of year are the lights and the music.
When Lance moved us from Oregon, April 2010, my song invitations ended. Well, to be fair... we were in like four wards in Vegas and had just moved to Texas before the holiday season 2010. The second I stepped into Texas they shoved me in Primary... so I know a LOT of kiddos but no parents and the kids don't care if you can sing or not.
I have been overheard singing at church on Sundays and invited to choir many times... but the choir times are not conducive with our family's schedule. (maybe 2012) So, I get a call last week from a member of the Relief Society presidency asking me to sing for their Christmas activity that happened tonight. I agreed and went to work finding music. I selected four different songs (so the pianist could pick what was easy for them to play) and went about trying to find an accompanist. NO LUCK. I asked seven women in the ward and they either said, "No." or were not going to be coming tonight due to other plans. I emailed, I called, I talked to sisters... no luck. I started panicking. Then I was told the home we were meeting at didn't have a piano. A sister agreed to bring a keyboard (ugh ~ don't like singing with electric keyboards...) but I could NOT find anyone to play.
I began to pray. I prayed, begged, pleaded... please help me to find a person willing to play. A couple more days went by and I had a thought come into my mind. I was reminded of a lullaby I had done years ago at the singles ward. A lullaby that was performed acapella. I prayed and asked if this was the song I was to sing... no pianists ever stepped forward, so I began preparing to sing alone... freak! I like singing with a piano... it gives me support and comfort... I'm not up there alone. I practiced this week, a LOT.
I get to the home tonight and a keyboard is set up. I apologize to the woman who brought it and explain that I had let people know that I wouldn't need it... she said they were going to play an opening hymn with it. Okay... no worries. They went to use it, nothing. It would not turn on... if I had been planning one of the songs to be performed with a piano I would have been FLIPPING OUT!
I went up front and talked about Mary and her new baby and displayed a picture. Then I sang. I am so grateful that I had been led to sing unaided. This was my debut in this ward and I feel like it went okay. I hope I'm asked again, if not... no worries.
I'm grateful that Heavenly Father helped me to showcase my talent. A talent given to me by Him. I'm grateful that He led me to a song that He wanted performed...
I'm grateful that I choose to sing. I was trying to talk myself out of doing it all week...
When Lance moved us from Oregon, April 2010, my song invitations ended. Well, to be fair... we were in like four wards in Vegas and had just moved to Texas before the holiday season 2010. The second I stepped into Texas they shoved me in Primary... so I know a LOT of kiddos but no parents and the kids don't care if you can sing or not.
I have been overheard singing at church on Sundays and invited to choir many times... but the choir times are not conducive with our family's schedule. (maybe 2012) So, I get a call last week from a member of the Relief Society presidency asking me to sing for their Christmas activity that happened tonight. I agreed and went to work finding music. I selected four different songs (so the pianist could pick what was easy for them to play) and went about trying to find an accompanist. NO LUCK. I asked seven women in the ward and they either said, "No." or were not going to be coming tonight due to other plans. I emailed, I called, I talked to sisters... no luck. I started panicking. Then I was told the home we were meeting at didn't have a piano. A sister agreed to bring a keyboard (ugh ~ don't like singing with electric keyboards...) but I could NOT find anyone to play.
I began to pray. I prayed, begged, pleaded... please help me to find a person willing to play. A couple more days went by and I had a thought come into my mind. I was reminded of a lullaby I had done years ago at the singles ward. A lullaby that was performed acapella. I prayed and asked if this was the song I was to sing... no pianists ever stepped forward, so I began preparing to sing alone... freak! I like singing with a piano... it gives me support and comfort... I'm not up there alone. I practiced this week, a LOT.
I get to the home tonight and a keyboard is set up. I apologize to the woman who brought it and explain that I had let people know that I wouldn't need it... she said they were going to play an opening hymn with it. Okay... no worries. They went to use it, nothing. It would not turn on... if I had been planning one of the songs to be performed with a piano I would have been FLIPPING OUT!
I went up front and talked about Mary and her new baby and displayed a picture. Then I sang. I am so grateful that I had been led to sing unaided. This was my debut in this ward and I feel like it went okay. I hope I'm asked again, if not... no worries.
I'm grateful that Heavenly Father helped me to showcase my talent. A talent given to me by Him. I'm grateful that He led me to a song that He wanted performed...
I'm grateful that I choose to sing. I was trying to talk myself out of doing it all week...

1 comment:
Wow, I didn't know singing was such a part of your life! I would have totally played for you, even if I wasn't planning on coming. I can't believe you couldn't find ANYBODY. Maybe it was 'cause you weren't supposed to. I loved the whine against keyboards. SO TRUE. I wish I could've heard you! I've been thinking about you this Christmas. I remember you telling me you had a tradition for the kids everyday of the month? I think that is so awesome. I remember being so impressed and now I'm wondering what they all are? It would cool to get some ideas for my little fam. Merry Christmas!
Post a Comment